It's believed that there was a building on the Bryn Estyn Estate as far back as Tudor times, possibly a farm belonging to the Erlas Hall Estate which is to the south-east of where the current Bryn Estyn Hall sits today.
Roger Davies of Erlas Hall owned the land up until Williams Kyffin (of Maenan Hall, Llanddoged - north of Llanrwst) married one of the Davies daughters, so passing Bryn Estyn into the hands of the wealthy Kyffin family.
In 1783, Sir Thomas Kyffin sold the land to Richard Myddleton Massie Lloyd, a textile merchant and pioneer of banking in Wrexham. The wealthy Lloyd family already owned estates such as Plas Power and Plas Madoc. Richard Lloyd commissioned architect Joseph Turner to design the first Bryn Estyn Hall. In 1814, following the death of Richard Lloyd, the property passed to his son, Major Sir William Lloyd (who also served as a magistrate and as the High Sherrif of Denbighshire).
When Lloyds Bank (in Chester Street, Wrexham) collapsed in 1849, it brought shame on the family, and no doubt, some serious financial worries.
Major Sir William Lloyd died on 16th May 1857, and was later buried in St Tudnos church on the Great Orme, Llandudno. At the time he was best known for being one of the first Europeans to ascend a Himalayan peak. It's unclear why the estate didn't pass to Sir William Lloyds son George, or daughter Mary, upon the death of their father. it might have been to satisfy death duties or other outstanding debt?
The house and surrounding land once again became part of the Plas Power Estate, now owned by the Fitzhugh family, and was inhabited by Emily Fitzhugh, who later married Captain Rumley Charles Godfrey (Her Majestys Indian Army). Rumley Charles Godfrey died on 20th June 1892 whilst residing in Rhyl, and the house passed to his son, Lieutenant Colonel Rumley Frederick Godfrey (Royal Welsh Fusiliers).
Just over 10 years after inheriting the house, Rumley Frederick Godfrey sold Bryn Estyn to Frederick William Soames in 1903, upon which, he demolished the original building and commissioned Liverpool architects Grayson & Ould to design a replacement. This is the building that remains today.